The Fisherman


175. THE FISHERMAN. A certain fisherman having laid his nets in the river and encompassed the whole stream from one side to the other, took a long pole, and fell a beating the water to make the fish strike into his nets.
One of the neighbours, that lived thereabouts, seeing him do so, wondered what he meant; and going up to him, "Friend.” says he, “what are you doing here? Do you think it is to be suffered that you shall stand splashing and dashing the water, and make it so muddy that it is not fit for use? Who do you think can live at this rate?”
He was going on in a great fury, when the other interrupted him, and replied, “I do not much trouble myself how you are to live with my doing this, but I assure you that I cannot live without it.” [more info]

No comments:

Post a Comment