The Fir Tree and the Bramble


083. THE FIR TREE AND THE BRAMBLE. A tall, straight fir-tree, that stood towering up in the midst of the forest, was so proud of his dignity and high station, that he overlooked the little shrubs which grew beneath him.
A bramble, being one of the inferior throng, could by no means brook this haughty carriage, and therefore took him to task, and desired to know what he meant by it.
“Because,” says the fir-tree, “I look upon myself as the first tree for beauty and rank of any in the forest; my spring top shoots up into the clouds, and my branches display themselves with a perpetual beauty and verdure; while you lay grovelling upon the ground, liable to be crushed by every foot that comes near you, and impoverished by the luxurious drippings which fall from my leaves.”
“All this may be true,” replies the bramble, “but when the woodman has marked you out for public use, and the sounding axe comes to be applied to your root, I am mistaken if you would not be glad to change conditions with the very worst of us.” [more info]

No comments:

Post a Comment