The Stag and the Fawn


069. THE STAG AND THE FAWN. A stag, grown old and mischievous, was, according to custom, stamping with his foot, making offers with his head, and bellowing so terribly, that the whole herd quaked for fear of him; when one of the little fawns coming up, addressed him to this purpose: “Pray, what is the reason that you, who are so stout and formidable at all other times, if you do but hear the cry of the hounds, are ready to fly out of your skin for fear?”
“What you observe is true,” replied the stag, “though I know not how to account for it; I am indeed vigorous and able enough, I think, to make my part good anywhere, and often resolve within myself, that nothing shall ever dismay my courage for the future. But, alas! I no sooner hear the voice of a hound, but all my spirits fail me, and I cannot help making off as fast as my legs can carry me.” [more info]

No comments:

Post a Comment