The Dog and the Wolf


3.07. THE DOG AND THE WOLF. I will shew in a few words how sweet is Liberty.
A Wolf, quite starved with hunger, chanced to meet a well-fed Dog, and as they stopped to salute each other, “Pray,” said the Wolf, “how is it that you are so sleek? or on what food have you made so much flesh? I, who am far stronger, am perishing with hunger.”
The Dog frankly replied: “You may enjoy the same condition, if you can render the like service to your master.”
“What is it?” said the other.
“To be the guardian of his threshold, and to protect the house from thieves at night.”
“I am quite ready for that,” said the Wolf; “at present I have to endure snow and showers, dragging on a wretched existence in the woods. How much more pleasant for me to be living under a roof, and, at my ease, to be stuffed with plenty of victuals.”
“Come along, then, with me,” said the Dog.
As they were going along, the Wolf observed the neck of the Dog, where it was worn with the chain. “Whence comes this, my friend?”
“Oh, it is nothing.”
“Do tell me, though.”
“Because I appear to be fierce, they fasten me up in the day-time, that I may be quiet when it is light, and watch when night comes; unchained at midnight, I wander wherever I please. Bread is brought me without my asking; from his own table my master gives me bones; the servants throw me bits, and whatever dainties each person leaves; thus, without trouble on my part, is my belly filled.”
“Well, if you have a mind to go anywhere, are you at liberty?”
“Certainly not,” replied the Dog.
“Then, Dog, enjoy what you boast of; I would not be a king, to lose my liberty.” [more info]

No comments:

Post a Comment