The Wolf and the Lamb


11. THE WOLF AND THE LAMB. As a Wolf was lapping at the head of a running brook, he spied a stray Lamb paddling, at some distance down the stream. Having made up his mind to make his dinner off her, he bethought himself how he might begin the quarrel.
"Wretch," said he to her, "how dare you muddle the water that I am drinking ?"
"Indeed," said the Lamb humbly, "I do not see how I can disturb the water, since it runs from you to me, not from me to you."
"Be that as it may," replied the Wolf, "it was but a year ago that you called me many ill names."
"Oh, sir," said the Lamb trembling, "a year ago I was not born."
"No matter, it was your father then, or some of your relations," and immediately seizing the innocent Lamb, he tore her to pieces. [more info]

No comments:

Post a Comment