The Old Hound


064. THE OLD HOUND. An old hound, who had been an excellent good one in his time, and had given his master great sport and satisfaction in many a chase, at last, by the effect of years, became feeble and unserviceable. However, being in the field one day, when the stag was almost run down, he happened to be the first that came in with him, and seized him by one of his haunches: but his decayed and broken teeth not being able to keep their hold, the deer escaped, and threw him quite out.
Upon which, his master being in a great passion, and going to strike him, the honest old creature is said to have barked out this apology: “Ah! Do not strike your poor old servant; it is not my heart and inclination, but my strength and speed that fail me. If what I am now displeases, pray don't forget what I have been.” [more info]

No comments:

Post a Comment